Tuesday 14 March 2017

ONYEKA ONWENU: BEHIND THE "ELEGANT STALLION


Ms.Onwenu continued her success in creative arts and pop culture, spreading her desires for performing arts into movies. She remains the only brand created from entertainment journalism. A brand, to this day, she proudly identifies with: THE ELEGANT STALLION!
A young Zimbabwean music promoter, Steve Chigorimbo, arrived Nigeria's music business September 1987 from Harare. He recruited famous Nigerian musicians for a southern Africa tour, a tour billed as music against apartheid. The line up included: Late Sonny Okosuns, Late Christie Igbokwe and Onyeka Onwenu. I was invited to cover this event as the entertainment editor of the Punch. Steve urged me to be the MC of this major event that took the groups to Zambia and Zimbabwe. The first major performance was at the Rufaro stadium in Harare. Rufaro stadium was packed with thirsty concert goers, including Zimbabwe university students. I was hyper: didn’t know how Onyeka, billed as first performer of the concert, would represent our dear native land. But when she walked onto the stage, she was poised, elegant and magnificent. She approached the microphone confidently; her band slowly began to belt out rhythms from her latest dance release then, Winnie Mandela, one of the tracks from DANCING IN THE SUN album. She walked to the staged, approached the microphone and steadily began to caress it: she then began to sing, her toned back muscles of her legs cushioned, her neck vein vocals pushed the smooth chocolate skins, solidly traced her upper body muscles: you could feel blood running through them, her arms held tightly to the microphone as she belted passionately and powerfully. I thought then: I must capture these moments in my review. The previous night, I had one of those groupie biracial Zimbabwean young beauties that wouldn’t leave me alone. We met at the hallways of our hotel and struck a conversation. She said her name was Zolfor West and worked as a secretary at the Swiss embassy. She invited me to her office to show and tell her workers of her new West African mahogany. The night before the Rufaro stadium concert, she said she wouldn’t mind spending the night with me in my hotel room. I accepted her invitation. We had a happy ending night and during the midnight hour escapades, she called me her STALLION!... Stallions are powerful male horses, the next evening; I was watching Onyeka Onwenu galloping all over the stage as she performed. I wanted to sex this performance up, fertilize and feminize her strength and elegance on stage, I remembered Zolfor West describing my erotic night encore performance with her as “ a stallion night” … I captured these memories thus: “an elegant stallion, galloping steadily into the groove. Onyeka has matured from a saint to a sinner, from a pretender to a real performer. Here comes our ELEGANT STALLION”. That description became Onyeka Onwenu. Today, thanks to entertainment journalism, Ms. Onwenu is known mostly by her brand name than her baptism name!

Like our Facebook fans page @Mega Grace international OR Prince E. Onyedika

Whatsapp group @ +2348135024346

©Prince E. Onyedika

No comments: